Last month, Relief from Pain was invited to attend the Annual Balens’ Forum at the Beauty UK show held at the NEC Birmingham. Three leading figures in the field of healthcare in the UK gave presentations on the significance of the big data project known as the Hawthorn Natural Health Initiative (HNHI) which was initiated by David Balen, founder of one of the first insurance companies in the world covering natural health (1).The presenters included Dr. Robert Verkerk (2), founder of Alliance for Natural Health, David Balen and Ms. Meleni Aldridge, a leading practitioner in the field of complementary and integrative medicine for 25 years (3).
The audience consisted of about 40 experts from the complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) sector or “natural health treatments and therapies” as most attendees prefer to use.
The aim of the HNHI is to unite like-minded individuals and organisations in order to create significant shifts in the way healthcare is provided and delivered through the use of big data analysis, research and PR. Balens Insurance Ltd. has almost 80,000 CAM insurance customers and therefore is ideally placed to conduct research and gather data for the big data analysis project.
These are exciting times that are pushing towards new paradigms in health care:
1. Sustainable Health
According to The Alliance for Natural Health USA (ANH-USA), sustainable health is about having adequate nutrition, reduced toxicity with the aim of prevention and creating optimal health rather than treating symptoms with expensive drugs (4).
2. Data and research methods being used
MINDATA was created with the aim of establishing national and regional cooperatives to provide access for the public to view and analyse their personal health related data as well as being part of valuable medical research (5).
3. The health care system is “sick“
According to the Meikirch model, sickness of the health care system arises from placing financial considerations before improved health and as such cannot address the true needs of the patient. As health care costs increase beyond the means of gross domestic product, health care becomes unsustainable with unfortunate outcome for patients. With this in mind, the Meikirch model focus on the patient by establishing the following concepts:
“Health is a state of wellbeing emergent from conducive interactions between individuals’ potentials, life’s demands, and social and environmental determinants. Health results throughout the life course when individuals’ potentials – and social and environmental determinants – suffice to respond satisfactorily to the demands of life. Life’s demands can be physiological, psychosocial, or environmental, and vary across individual and context, but in every case unsatisfactory responses lead to disease.“ (6)
Relief from Pain are promoting similar concepts through research, complimentary and alternative medicine therapies, public relations and technology. For more information, please read our other research blogs (7).
- Balens Ltd. David Balen [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jul 16]. Available from: http://www.balens.co.uk/about/team/david-balen.aspx
- ANH USA. Robert Verkerk [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jul 16]. Available from: http://www.anh-usa.org/robert-verkerk/
- Nuzest UK & Europe. Meleni Aldridge [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jul 16]. Available from: https://www.nuzest.co.uk/team/meleni-aldridge/
- ANH USA. Reform Healthcare [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jul 16]. Available from: http://www.anh-usa.org/microsite/reform-healthcare/
- Midata. My data- Our health [Internet]. Available from: https://midata.coop/#about
- Meikirch Model. Meikirch model: A new concept of health based on science [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jul 16]. Available from: http://meikirch-modell.ch/en/
- Relief from Pain. Healing Research and Diagnostics [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jul 16]. Available from: https://www.relieffrompain.org/research